What is cheese sauce?
Cheese sauce or a cheddar sauce in the United Kingdom originated traditional creamy sauce, used in cooking. It is based on one of the mother sauces, “the white sauce” (made up of milk, flour, butter), and cheddar.
The answer to the question ‘how to make cheese sauce?’ is very simple and easy. It is made by the combination of white sauce and cheddar in specific amounts. Later on pepper, English mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and some other ingredients.
The cheese sauce is easily available in the market but it has no comparison with the freshly prepared, highly nutritious, homemade cheese sauce.
Types of cheese sauces:
Cheese sauces are available in a variety of forms and tastes. One of the key reasons behind the availability of different types of cheese sauces is “regional variations”. Some cheese sauces are white (Bechamel) based, while in some eggs and cream are used. it’s also differ based on the type of cheese.
- Whatever recipe you use, must focus on the fact that you have chosen the type of cheese that melts well.
- Some cheeses when heated separate and result in the sticky, gooey mess.
- There is an important point worth mentioning that before making the cheese sauce test your cheese by applying a small quantity on bread under the boiler, it will be fine for making our recipe if it turns brown and gets soften easily.
Following are the names of some different types of cheese sauces
Cheddar cheese sauce:
It is a mild and kid-friendly sauce. Its texture is so creamy, smooth, and velvety. People enjoy it with baked potatoes, steamed veggies, hot cooked macaroni, nachos, and open-faced sandwiches.
Creamy cheese sauce:
The creamy cheese sauce is so versatile. It can be used as a mac and cheese, nachos sauce, and can also be a sauce for broccoli.
It is a classic French sauce. Different combinations of cheese are used for making the mornay sauce. Usually, the combination of half Gruyere and half Parmesan cheese is preferred.
By adding the mixture of egg yolks and cream to the sauce, we will get an absolutely delicious and highly nutritious sauce.
The literal meaning of fondue is “melted”. In swiss fondue, we use combinations of cheese like Gruyere, Raclette, and Emmenthal. Long forks are used to whirl the pieces of bread in the sauce.
It is a mixture of white sauce and melted cheese with beer. This sauce is poured on the bread and then cooked in the oven till it gets brown.
The four-cheese sauce is usually used as a pasta sauce. It is rich in fats and salt. One should avoid regular intake or over-consumption of four-cheese sauce.
It is prepared from butter, heavy cream, freshly grated parmesan cheese, chopped parsley, and crushed garlic. This sauce is used in kinds of pasta, cheesy scalloped potatoes, baked spaghetti, chicken alfredo rollups, and alfredo lasagna, etc.
Uses of cheese sauce:
The most common and popular use of the cheese sauce is being poured over spaghetti dishes with meat or chicken, and different types of pasta.
It is usually used in the preparation of a lot of British dishes like parmo, mac and cheese, fish pie, cauliflower cheese, and lasagna, etc.
This sauce is also an important ingredient of tacos, stir fry vegetables, nachos, and tortillas.
The sauce adds an amazing taste to salads and cold sandwiches.
This sauce gives a cheesy flavor if added to the beans, rice preparations, and vegetables.
It is poured over steamed vegetables to a beautiful and classy combination of color and flavor.
8 servings per container
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Carbohydrate
- Vitamin A 6%
- Calcium 18%
- Iron 1%
- Magnesium 2%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
Health and benefits of cheese sauce:
- The presence of milk and cheese makes it the rich source of protein, calcium, and vitamin D that make our bones strong and prevent Osteoporosis.
- Cheese is the main component and it plays a vital role in improving our dental health and keeps our teeth strong.
- Calcium in the cheese fulfills our body’s calcium demand without supplementation.
- Contains an excellent amount of protein that gives us healthy skin and hair and also improves muscle strength.
- Cheese present in the sauce is a rich source of most complex vitamin Cobalamin. This vitamin promotes our mental health and helps in the production of proteins, red blood cells, and DNA.
- Having low sodium and high-potassium containing components helps to lower our blood pressure.
- It can help in preventing common cancers like colorectal cancer because of the high level of calcium present in the milk and cheese.
- The main ingredients of the cheese sauce contain minerals and vitamins that can boost our immune system and make us immunologically strong to combat different diseases.
Some variations in the recipe:
To put in the color and flavor in the cheese sauce, add diced pimientos, and then see the magic. You can also add a pinch of garlic powder and cayenne to change the taste. Smoked cheddar instead of plain cheddar will give a lovely, creamy, smoky-flavored sauce. If you are making a cheese sauce for some Tex-Mex style dish, then you should add chili peppers and use a Mexican blend of cheeses.
Cheese sauce can be thickened in a variety of ways. The best way to make a thick, is to add more cheese. Another way is to add cornstarch slurry in a very small amount. But this second way is risky.
How to store:
Always prefer homemade cheese sauce and store it in the dark, cool, and dry place. If you buy cheese sauce from the market, you can store it for 3 months after opening its seal. Place the sauce bottle in the fridge and add it to your dishes to enjoy its delicious taste.