What is cheese fondue?
Cheese fondue is a delicious dish that originated from Switzerland. In 1930 Swiss Cheese Union promoted it as a Swiss national dish. The recipe for cheese fondue is simply a melted cheese dish enjoyed by dipping bread into the cheese using specific fondue forks and is served in a specialized fondue pot over a portable stovetop that is heated by a spirit lamp.
Cheese and bread both are nutritious and have been consumed by the people for so long. Bread coated with melted creamy cheese introduces us to something more appealing and tasty dish: fondue.
There is a huge variety of recipes for Cheese fondue eaten in different countries of the world. The difference is only the type of cheese being used in the recipe for cheese fondue. Cheeses like Gruyere, appenzeller, and Emmentaler are used in the preparation of classic fondue, while in the Italian fondue fontina cheese along with white truffles and egg yolks are the main constituent. Cheddar cheese, parmesan cheese, cream cheese, fresh goat cheese, mozzarella cheese flavored with olives, herbs, mushrooms, mustard, and chiles, etc can also add different kinds of flavors to our cheese fondue.
This original, home-made, thick, and creamy, alcohol-free cheese fondue is equivalent to the stovetop mac and cheese. As it is non-alcoholic, so the entire family can enjoy it. This simple and easy recipe for cheese fondue will make your family crave and rave about!
Different types of pots:
The recipe for cheese fondue can work well only if you take care of the other things like pot, flame, time, etc. The specialized fondue pot includes a stand, a pot, and also a room for a burner. Electric fondue pots are too good but expensive. People use different types of pans and skillets to make cheese fondue.
Metal pans: As we know that metal is the best conductor of heat and quickly conducts heat, so it is might possible that metal pans scorch the cheese and ruin the whole fondue. That’s why metal pans are not recommended for making cheddar cheese fondue.
Ceramic or earthenware pots: When making fondue in ceramic or earthenware pots must use fondue stand with a burner because some earthenware or ceramic pots crack by the direct heat of the stove. The flameproof earthenware pots are good and suitable for the stove.
Enameled cast iron pots: Enameled cast iron pots are stove friendly. It means that we can directly place the cast iron pots on the stove. Some fondue pots have a metal exterior and a ceramic-based interior. Slow cookers can also be used in making the cheese fondue because they can keep it warm for a maximum time but some of them are very deep and can cause difficulty in the dipping process.
12 servings per container
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Amount Per Serving% Daily Value *
- Total Carbohydrate
- Vitamin A 583%
- Vitamin C 1%
- Calcium 245%
- Iron 1%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.
What you can dip into your cheese fondue:
Recipe for cheese fondue is very flexible in the sense that it allows you to choose your favorite options to dip into the cheese fondue.
Bread Chicken Tortilla chips
Apples Sausages Broccoli
Carrots Brussel sprouts Cauliflower
Potatoes Chicken Steak
Shrimp Cooked white beans
Dippers in the recipe for cheese fondue are not limited, there is a huge variety but most commonly chunks of bread are considered as a natural partner for cheese fondue. People also like sliced apples, pears, veggies because they all make cheese fondue a satisfying meal.
Tips for the recipe for cheese fondue:
In the recipe for cheese fondue, when you aremaking fondue sauce, one thing must be kept under consideration that does not melt cheese at high heat. Always keep the low temperature to melt the cheese. When shredded cheese is tossed with flour, this step also helps in melting the cheese and makes cheese smooth, silky, and dippable. High flame can ruin the fondue by scorching the cheese. Lemon juice has acid that helps to restore a curdled fondue.
Wooden skewers are considered as an alternative of fondue set. So, if you don’t have a fondue set, you can use wooden skewers or long-stemmed forks to dip the bread in the fondue. Metal skewers should be avoided because they conduct the heat and harm your fingers.
Enameled cast-iron, ceramic and earthenware fondue pots are recommended because they can retain the heat and keep the fondue hot on the table for almost 30 minutes.
Alternative of wine:
There is a wide variety of recipes for cheese fondue but almost 98% of them use wine or beer. It was hard to find an alternative of wine to make it eatable for kids, elders, and non-alcoholic people. The cream can be used in place of wine.
Don’t wash the pot immediately:
A thin hard layer is often seen at the bottom of the fondue pot. The pot should not be washed immediately. Heat it for about 1-2 minutes; you will see the thin bottom layer turning into a crispy layer. Take out that crisp crust and break it to enjoy the final bites of your cheese fondue.
Health benefits of cheese fondue:
Cheese fondue is a life-changing and winter comfort food. The recipe for cheese fondueis being searched and followedall over the world to get the benefits of cheese.
- By using specialized fondue pot and following the recipe for cheese fonduewe can make low calories cheese fondue. People can also make amendments in the recipe for cheese fondue according to their requirements.
- The best and interesting fact about cheese fondue is that it can help us in losing weight. You have to eat the fondue with small, tiny forks and in this way make it impossible to overeat. Dieters sometimes who can’t control their cravings use small fondue forks and plates.
- It is an excellent source of dietary fibers, different types of vitamins (high in vitamin B-12), calcium, proteins, carbohydrates, and a lot of other nutrients.
- Cheese is the main and important component of fondue. According to many studies and researches recipes for the cheese fondue has the main ingredient cheese that can protect our teeth from cavities.
- It can lower blood pressure and reverse hypertension.
- Studies have shown that calcium, lactic acid, and vitamin D content in dairy products and cheese can prevent us from some common cancers.
- It can boost our immune system by introducing probiotics in our body and also protect us from immunosenescence.